This type of vinegar is obtained through the fermentation of apple juice or cider. It is a food rich in polyphenols; that’s why there are many benefits associated with drinking apple cider vinegar.
It may help prevent diabetes by regulating sugar levels and cancer by being rich in antioxidants.
Due to its fermentation, apple cider vinegar is rich in enzymes that aid food digestion and accelerate gastric emptying, protecting the stomach and facilitating digestion.
It also has acids such as malic, lactic, and citric, which help the liver function properly and detoxify the body.
Benefits drinking apple cider vinegar
1. Apple cider vinegar for weight loss
Cider vinegar promotes weight loss because it inhibits the action of enzymes that digest carbohydrates.
Reducing the absorption of foods such as bread, pasta, sweets, and milk. Likewise, it also helps decrease appetite, increasing the feeling of satiety.
Consuming around 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (or capsules if you don’t like the taste) before lunch and dinner can reduce the body’s number of calories absorbed.
2. Prevents diabetes
By reducing carbohydrate absorption, also helps reduce the secretion of insulin. This hormone stimulates the storage of extra calories ingested through the diet as fat tissue in the body, preventing diabetes.
3. Helps on cancer prevention
Apple vinegar is rich in polyphenols, powerful antioxidants that protect cells against changes that trigger problems like cancer. However, more studies are needed to confirm this benefit.
These antioxidants also help reduce inflammation in the joints, relieving pain, and improving joint movement.
4. Healthy hair
This vinegar can also be used on the hair to give it more shine and light. It’s also a great home remedy against dandruff due to its antifungal properties.
To brighten hair, you can wash and smooth hair as usual. At the end of the process, you should apply apple cider vinegar directly to the strands.
You can dilute half a glass of apple cider vinegar with half a glass of water, and then apply to all hair and blow-dry.
5. Supports cuticle infections
Another benefit is for fingernail infections; this typically arises when a skin wound occurs or during a manicure or pedicure.
This happens because apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic actions that prevent germs from developing.
Apple cider vinegar, consumed in small amounts, helps digest food and contributes to liver detox.
Apple cider vinegar nutrition facts
The list below contains the nutritional information for 3.53 fl oz (100g) of apple cider vinegar:
- Energy 20 kcals
- Carbohydrates 0.93 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Proteins 0 g
- Fat 0 g
- Calcium 6.7 mg
- Potassium 73.3 mg
How it may be used / directions
You can add 1 teaspoon in salads or season meats; it can also make homemade mayonnaise. This vinegar can be put on a fire or in the oven.
Try using small doses of 1 or 2 tablespoons a day and avoid large amounts. Consuming a lot of vinegar can cause side effects.
Side effects of consuming vinegar in excess
High consumption of apple cider vinegar can cause some side effects like:
- Slowing down gastric emptying and decrease appetite
- Wearing tooth enamel, increasing the risk of tooth decay
- It could cause sores in the throat, especially in cases of reflux and injuries to the esophagus and stomach
- Interfere with the functioning of medications for diabetes and hypertension, especially diuretics
- Burning the skin causing redness, when the acid comes into direct contact with the skin, undiluted, and with great frequency
Apple cider vinegar DIY
It can be prepared at home using only apples and a little water, so its production is natural. Despite being simple, it’s a process that can take a while.
2 large apples chopped into small pieces should be enough for now. They must be washed without peel and seeds. Then you should follow the directions mentioned below:
- Put the chopped apple in the blender and add a little water to avoid rotting. The amount of water varies according to the number of apples used; it is normally recommended to add water until at least half of the apples are covered
- Blend until the apples are completely crushed
- Then place in a glass bottle, cover, and store in a place without sun exposure at room temperature between 64 and 86ºF for 4 to 6 weeks. Make sure the bottle is not full so that fermentation can occur without a problem
- When this period of time has passed, it should then be placed in a large container. Covered with a clean cloth and left in the sun for 3 days
After sun exposure, the apple cider vinegar must be filtered and placed in a dark glass bottle. Enjoy!